Monday, November 1, 2010

You are intelligent...

I was in one of the well known private school a year back for a 2 day training for students on my favourite topic 'Thought blocks'. As I was conducting the session I asked the students to close their eyes and raise their hands IF THEY THINK THEY ARE INTELLIGENT.

There were around 300 kids from various schools between the age group 15 to 18 and I was surprised when only 20 to 30 kids raised their hands!

That means only 20 to 30 kids even think they are intelligent! what about the rest?
This became the point of my study for the rest of the sessions to follow. I raised this same question to many students and even personally to many students and what I observed was stunning!

Majority of the students felt they are not intelligent!

What an irony! Kids go to school to become intelligent and here is a situation or rather a crisis where majority don't even consider themselves as intelligent!


Why this situation! And is it at all important to make every child feel he/she is an intelligent person!

I don't know the answer. But according to my logic may be it is because as parents and teachers, after a certain age, we only point out the mistakes of a child than highlighting the good things that they do!

I have had incidences where few of the parents walk up to me and get overtly worried about their kids. I just ask them to tell few good things about their son/daughter and they take a long pause before saying the good things! They have to think so much for that!


what is more important than making a person feel good, feel intelligent, feel great! Yes... everybody has weaknesses and everybody does mistakes... Lets try to highlight the best and leave the rest...

A child deserves to feel intelligent.. That's the real human rights!

LET THE CHILD BLOSSOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment