Thursday, November 11, 2010

What do you do!

"What do you do?"
" I work in an organization that is working in the education sector. We have a curriculum. We train teachers. We come up with lot of interesting and innovative teaching methodologies to make learning engaging and effective."
" Oh so you are a teacher"
" No. No. I kind of teach the teachers."
" Oh"

I have kind of explained what I do in as many ways as possible to my relatives, but ultimately the maximum that they can understand is that I am a personality development guy!

On a casual chat with other colleagues of mine, they too shared the same pangs..

Not to blame anyone, but the field of training, education consulting, etc. is so new in India that there are many people who are yet to recognize it as a respectable way of employment!

My mom still thinks I am kind of doing some social service. :)
Not just in the education field but in many other field, many new and varied courses have come in. Honestly I was not aware that such a stream of work exists when I finished my +2. Even now I am sure many youngsters in our country are not aware of the varied opportunities available in this 21st Century.


And isn't it true that we are actually preparing our students to the future and not just for the present! With the kind of technological advancements happening at lightning speed across the globe we need to surely expect drastically new and different kinds of job profiles that would be awaiting this generation of learners.

Having understood this, it is important as educationists and parents to allow the child to explore and innovate different opportunities.

And so, there is somebody waiting at my door to understand what I do.. Let me try my best now..
                                                                                                            (courtesy: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com)
Let the child blossom to face the future and not just the present!

2 comments:

  1. my current job profile-honestly speaking, I never knew if any such profile existed til a year back....and now it is amazing to look back...:) thanks Santh for this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True.. Most of us didnt know that there are so many work options available!

    ReplyDelete