Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On a mission…

Mission teaching and mission parenting:


It is tiring, it is challenging, it is fettering, it is fretting. But what can make this mission a mission of joy, discovery and success is the mantra ‘Let the child Blossom’

It is a powerful statement that I have borrowed from EZ Vidya’s mission statement. The more I think about it, the more revelations I get.

Before judging, before instructing, before advising, before thrusting, before answering, before questioning just ask one simple question – ‘Am I letting the child blossom?’

One day my boss asked me “What do you think is the key word in the mission statement – Let the child blossom?’

I thought for some time and said ‘child’, somebody said ‘blossom’. She said according to her it is the verb ‘LET’. Think about it.

As I started observing I really understood how important that verb is.

A child sees a horse for the first time and says ‘Hey such a big DOG.’

Immediately we would laugh at the child, think he is dumb and say ‘It is not a dog. It is a horse!’

If we relook at this same situation with the mission statement in mind, then few questions that would pop up is –

‘Why is he saying it is a dog?’

‘If I am just going to let out that it is a horse what thought process would happen in the child’s mind?’

‘How can I make him understand that it is different from dog?’

These questions could possibly lead us to an other approach. We would rather ask the child to say why he said it is a dog and ask the child to state the difference between a dog and the animal that is in front and construct a thought process and finally tell out the new lingo ‘Horse’.

This way a child starts observing more.

With this mission –

A teacher would not just teach but facilitate

A parent would not just advise but add wise

A boss would not thrust but would allow

We would not Tell but we would ‘LET’



I am now going to stop telling and let you think more about it and share your thoughts. Join the mission ‘Let the child blossom’

2 comments:

  1. Highly thought-provoking and influential lines!
    I respect your ideology ...hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boss ki Jai. Isliye wo Boss hai. Loved the statement and the verb - "let". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete